Hill Cumorah Historic Sites
 

Hill Cumorah
(603 State Rt. 21, Palmyra, NY 14522)


Hill Cumorah is the most notable of many hills, or drumlins, in New York State's Finger Lakes region. The hill figures prominently in events that led to the organization of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

In A.D. 421, Moroni, the last survivor of a great civilization that had inhabited the Americas since about 600 B.C., buried in this hill a set of gold plates on which was recorded the history of his people. In 1827, Moroni returned as an angel and delivered the plates to Joseph Smith, who translated them and published them as the Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ.

Each summer, the Hill Cumorah is the site of a spectacular outdoor religious pageant. The free production, America's Witness for Christ, features a cast of over 600 and attracts audiences of up to 100,000 each year.

The Hill Cumorah is located four miles south of the village of Palmyra, on Highway 21.

Open daily.