Hill Cumorah Historic Sites
 

The Sacred Grove
(843 Stafford Rd., Palmyra, NY 14522)


In the spring of 1820, Joseph Smith, Jr. entered this remnant of an ancient forest to kneel in prayer. The vision he beheld of God the Father and his Son, Jesus Christ, initiated the restoration to the earth of the fullness of the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Nine years later, in late June of 1829, Joseph Smith Jr. gathered a small group of his family and friends to a secluded spot in these woods and showed them the gold plates from which the Book of Mormon was translated. He allowed each of the eight participants to hold the ancient record, turn its pages and examine its characters. They prepared a written testimony, which was published in the Book of Mormon.

The Sacred Grove is open for self-guided tours all year. Visitors are requested to stay on marked paths and leave all the grove's resources in the grove, such as leaves, twigs, rocks, etc. We appreciate your efforts in helping maintain its delicate environmental balance, and maintaining its natural and pristine state.