Around 1818 Joseph Smith, Sr., his wife, Lucy Mack Smith, and their eight children
moved from Palmyra village to Stafford Road, just north of the 100 acres they planned
to acquire. They built a log home and outbuildings where they resided for approximately
In late 1825 they moved a few hundred feet south to their new frame home. Their
son, Hyrum, had arranged to purchase the eighty acres of land surrounding the log
home. Following his marriage to Jerusha Barden, in November of 1826, Hyrum and his
wife resided in the log home.
In the spring of 1829, Father and Mother Smith and their younger children returned
to the log home where they lived with Hyrum’s family until the fall of 1830.